I remember the first time I heard that phrase, "There's gotta be more..." It came from the lips and from the heart of my husband and it echoed in me, though I certainly did not agree with him out loud. It was too scary to think about. John was talking about knowing God. The conversation went something like this, "Annette, there has to be more than what we know! No, John. There is no more! There's church (read: 11am on Sunday mornings) and there's Sunday School and eating lunch with friends after and that's just about it. Would you please just stop looking for more?" But he never did. He was convinced that "more" was available to us. Even though he had no idea what "more" looked like, he felt a tugging of his heartstrings. I was sure at the time he was crazy; inside I hoped he was... Now I know it was Holy Spirit calling his name. Calling our names.
That conversation happened more than 20 yeas ago. As I share that part of our story today, I'm so grateful for the continuing work of Father God in my life; that one day at a time He sanctifies us when we let Him. In my ignorance and in my arrogance, I was totally convinced that I knew all there was to know about God and about His kingdom. I argued sincerely for that "knowledge"! And I was sincerely wrong.
Since that day, I have been the recipient of more grace than is even reasonable. The bounty of His mercy has saturated every part of my life. I wouldn't even know where to begin to list it all in this moment, but I will spend my life sharing what I've been given with anyone who wants to know, with anyone who has any shred of hope that there is more...one story at a time...
For the record, you were right, Honey. There is more. And even after all these years, we've only touched the edge of knowing Him. Here's to a lifetime of hearing Him together. John and me. Friends and family with us! Ready? Let's go.
Annette
No comments:
Post a Comment